Tuesday, February 15, 2011

We Miss You






10 years ago today, my two favorite people in the world took their last helicopter flight away from my basketball game. They weren't just MY grandparents...they were EVERYONE'S Granny and Papa. They flew to all of our basketball games and were well known by everyone in my community. All my friends knew them as "Granny and Papa" and would ask if "Granny and Papa" were flying down from Amarillo to watch us play. 

I remember this day like it was yesterday. And I remember vividly our pastor, Mike Martin, telling Papa to be careful going home. To that Papa responded with "We always are! Don't worry about us." We went to eat at CJ's Pizza in Gruver and Granny made sure to write down everything I wanted for my 12th birthday coming up. She was known to spoil us, and yes, we took FULL advantage of that when we decided what to ask for when our birthdays were coming up. We dropped them off at the little Gruver airport where they left their helicopter during the game and then about the time we got to our house, we saw their lights up against the stars as they circled our country home and told us "goodbye" in their own way for the last time. That would be the last time I ever saw these two amazing people. The next morning all the lights were on the house and my dad was awake before I was. So I knew what was coming. They didn't make it home. But we had to continue on to school that day. And it was tough. I think about them every single day and wish they could still be here with us. The ten days it took to find them were torturous for me and the rest of my family. The basketball tournament that next weekend was held in their honor and they were finally found before the tournament ended. Such a bittersweet moment that I will never forget.

They always told my mom not to worry if they passed away while flying. Because if they did, they would be going away together and going away doing something they loved. And that they did. On Amarillo.com you can still see the articles and the headline that sticks out the most to me is one that says "Randall Couple Died Doing What They Loved." So we wouldn't have it any other way. Just wish we could steal some more time with them. They have missed weddings and graduations and many stepping stones from which we feel a void without them. But I know that somehow they see us, and are smiling right along with us! We love you Granny and Papa...and miss you every day!

"What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us." ~ Helen Keller



No comments:

Post a Comment